Virginia State Government 00016 - System Administrator and Developer - REPOST in Norfolk, Virginia
The College of Science, Engineering and Technology CSET) at Norfolk State University seeks applications for a System Administrator and Developer (Information Technology Specialist III). CSET consists of 8 departments: Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Nursing and Allied Health, Physics, and Technology.
The successful candidate will:
- Design, develop, implement and support new and existing web environments, applications, and infrastructure.
- Provide system administration and support for assigned systems, laboratories and infrastructure.
- Analyze user requirements, procedures and problems to automate or improve existing systems.
- Evaluate new technology.
- Be a member of the Operations/Deployment Team.
- Maintain the highest standard of personal and professional conduct in dealing with students, coworkers and the public.
- Protect and maintain confidentiality of records.
- Work cooperatively with others to achieve goals.
- Strive for improvement in the proficiency and effectiveness of services provided.
- Display an appreciation of the difference in approaches, personalities and viewpoints of others.
- Seek out and accept increased responsibilities.
- Keep work activities productive and focused on results.
- Take responsibility for educating self on current and future changes within the organization.
**This is a grant-funded position; continued employment contingent upon the availability of funding.
EEO STATEMENT NSU is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all persons and applicants, without regard to age, color, disability, gender, national origin, political affiliation, genetic information, race, religion, sexual orientation, sex (including pregnancy) or veteran status. NSU encourages and invites minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
- Extensive knowledge in programming, database design, user interface design and application development.
- Broad knowledge of Windows operating systems deployment, desktop management, group policies, scripting, networking and application compatibility testing.
- Broad knowledge of the practical application of technology in a complex networking environment, including Windows 7, Windows 10, Unix, Web technology, e-mail, and operating system and application deployment.
- Broad knowledge of hardware maintenance, troubleshooting and software support.
- Knowledge of various networking and telecommunications standards and technologies.
- Demonstrated ability to identify complex problems and review related information to develop, evaluate and implement solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently or as a team member within existing guidelines and policies.
- Demonstrated ability to work on multiple projects and handle shifting priorities to meet college’s objectives.
- Demonstrated ability to generate and adapt equipment and technology to serve user requirements.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate information and ideas verbally, in writing and via email to faculty, staff and students.
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully in a rapidly changing environment and adapt to new requirements and emerging technologies.
- H. S. diploma, or equivalent or an equivalent combination of training and education which provides the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or an equivalent combination of training, education and professional experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Extensive experience analyzing user needs to implement Web site content, graphics and forms and convert written graphic, audio and video components to web and multimedia content.
- Broad experience in webserver administration such as, Apache and llS and SQL administration as MySQL.
Applicants may show interest by fully completing in its entirety and submitting electronically, the Commonwealth of Virginia Application for Employment. Candidates who do not include all information on the application may miss the opportunity for full consideration.
NSU conducts background checks on all candidates identified as finalist for employment. The type of background check(s) performed is dependent upon the type of position for which you have been identified as a finalist, which may include: criminal history, sex offender registry checks, reference checks, degree validation, driving records, license verification, credit history review. The results of background checks are made available to University employing officials. You will be required to sign a Authorization to release form.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Candidates may show interest by submitting, in its entirety online, an application and all required application material.
Applicant is solely responsible for ensuring application and material thoroughly reflects their knowledge, skills, and abilities, as it relates to the advertised qualifications.
A complete application, including all previous employment, salary history, and education, for full consideration, must be received online by 11:59PM of the “Job Close Date.”
Applicants who list “see resume” or “see Curriculum Vitae” in lieu of completing the application may miss the opportunity for full consideration.
NSU conducts background checks on all candidates identified as finalist for employment. The type of background check(s) performed is dependent upon the type of position for which you have been identified as a finalist, which may include: criminal history, sex offender registry checks, reference checks, degree validation, driving records, license verification, credit history review. The results of background checks are made available to University employing officials. You will be required to sign an Authorization to release form.
Office of Human Resources
Faxed Material Not Accepted
Emailed Material Not Accepted
700 Park Avenue Norfolk, VA 23504
Working Title: 00016 - System Administrator and Developer - REPOST
Role Title: Info Technology Specialist III - 39113
Job Open Date: 05/14/2018
Job Close Date: 06/14/2018
Open Until Filled: No
Is this position funded in whole or in part by the American Recovery & Reinvestment Act (Stimulus Package)?: No
Hiring Range: $57,342 - $134,764 (Based on current pay practices)
Agency: Norfolk State University (213)
Agency Website: www.nsu.edu
Location: Norfolk - 710
Position Number: 00016
Job Posting Number: 1034080
Type of Recruitment: General Public - G
Does this position have telework options?: No
Bilingual/Multilingual Skill Requirement/Preference: No
Job Type: Full-Time (Salaried)
Job Type Detail: Restricted Full-Time Salaried - Non Faculty- FTS-1R
Pay Band: 06