Virginia State Government Human Resource Assistant - (00552) in Norfolk, Virginia
Norfolk State University (NSU), through exemplary teaching, scholarship and outreach, transforms lives and communities by empowering individuals to maximize their potential, creating life-long learners equipped to be engaged leaders and productive global citizens.
Norfolk State University seeks an experienced office professional to be an integral part of the fast-paced day-to-day operations of the Office of Human Resources. This position is an immensely critical element in the performance of all Human Resource initiatives, and supports multiple aspects within the office. Duties and responsibilities include:
- Provides administrative support to the HR professionals, as well as customer service to all employees of the organization.
- Responsible for record keeping and maintenance, maintain department tracking logs for all incoming and outgoing documents, and ensures documents, records, and files are maintained in accordance with established principles and procedures.
- Supports all internal departments with documentation processing, incoming/outgoing mail, answering and directing calls, and communicating and directing visitors of the department.
- Logs and tracks all documents using internal tracking system and provides updates to customer inquiries.
- Uses independent judgment and discretion in prioritizing work load; May be responsible for supervising and directing the workload of internal wage/work-study employees.
* EEO STATEMENT NSU is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all persons and applicants, without regard to age, color, disability, gender, national origin, political affiliation, genetic information, race, religion, sexual orientation, sex (including pregnancy) or veteran status. NSU encourages and invites minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply.*
- Working knowledge of standard office practices, including greeting customers and answering multi-line phones.
- Considerable knowledge of filing systems, record keeping process and procedures, and organizing files for quick extraction, as needed.
- Demonstrated ability to draft memos, letters, and emails, evaluate documents, and determine the appropriate action required.
- Demonstrated ability to use Microsoft Office site, including Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Ability to interact well with students, faculty, staff, and administrators, and the general public.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, to a diverse array of internal and external students, staff and faculty.
- Ability to maintain a high degree of sensitivity and exercise discretion on confidential matters.
- Ability to work independently and take appropriate initiative with minimum supervision.
- Must be able to work under pressure, prioritize workloads, and maintain a consistent level of professionalism when dealing with competing and demanding deadlines and customers.
- Some experience supervising the work of others.
- Previous experience working in a human resources environment in an office administrative capacity preferred.
- Previous experience working in higher education preferred.
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution, or equivalent combination of education and training that provides the requisite knowledge, skill, and abilities.
Candidates may show interest by submitting, in its entirety online, an application and all required application material.
Applicant is solely responsible for ensuring application and material thoroughly reflects their knowledge, skills, and abilities, as it relates to the advertised qualifications.
A complete application, including all previous employment, salary history, and education, for full consideration, must be received online by 11:59PM of the “Job Close Date.”
Applicants who list “see resume” or “see Curriculum Vitae” in lieu of completing the application may miss the opportunity for full consideration.
NSU conducts background checks on all candidates identified as finalist for employment. The type of background check(s) performed is dependent upon the type of position for which you have been identified as a finalist, which may include: criminal history, sex offender registry checks, reference checks, degree validation, driving records, license verification, credit history review. The results of background checks are made available to University employing officials. You will be required to sign an Authorization to release form.
Office of Human Resources
FAXED APPLICATION MATERIAL IS NOT ACCEPTED.
EMAILED APPLICATION MATERIAL IS NOT ACCEPTED.
MAILED APPLICATION MATERIAL IS NOT ACCEPTED.
Working Title: Human Resource Assistant - (00552)
Role Title: Admin and Office Spec III - 19013
Job Open Date: 04/19/2017
Job Close Date: 04/26/2017
Open Until Filled: No
Is this position funded in whole or in part by the American Recovery & Reinvestment Act (Stimulus Package)?: No
Hiring Range: $24,969 - $41,282
Agency: Norfolk State University (213)
Location: Norfolk - 710
Position Number: 00552
Job Posting Number: 1023732
Type of Recruitment: General Public - G
Does this position have telework options?: No
Bilingual/Multilingual Skill Requirement/Preference: No
Job Type: Full-Time (Salaried)
Job Type Detail: Full-Time Salaried - Non-Faculty- FTS-1
Pay Band: 03