ABBTECH Professional Resources, Inc. Machinist III - Chesapeake, VA in Chesapeake, Virginia
Setup and operation of multi-axis CNC machines (lathes; mills – horizontal and vertical - including multi-pallet machining centers; grinders; broaches; Gear generation & testing equipment).
Set up and operation of manual and semi-automatic lathes, mills, grinders, tool grinders, drills, broaches, gear hobbers, shears, etc.
• Set up, adjust, and operate machine tools in order to perform precision machining operations while holding close tolerance dimensions with minimal assistance.
• Read & interpret blueprints – both imperial and metric standards.
• Calculate dimensions and tolerances using knowledge of mathematics (geometry, trigonometry) and part drawings / standards.
• Test cut / dry run CNC programs prior to production runs. Machine parts correctly with only set up documentation and part drawing documentation.
• Follow Process Sheets, Process Maps, Standard Operating Procedures and Poka-Yoke systems implemented by Manufacturing Engineering and Shop management to generate predetermined production volumes, while ensuring best quality and lead times.
• Use measuring gauges including micrometers, calipers, height gauge, depth gauge, bore gauges, Mahr gages, etc. to inspect manufactured parts, in order to ensure adherence to drawing tolerances.
• Ensure adherence to routed hours and target efficiencies for production.
• Provide feedback on equipment, tooling, jigs, fixtures, and work holding solutions to reduce setup times and eliminate rework. Recommend modifications for improved efficiency in assigned areas.
• Perform daily cleaning and light maintenance tasks on machinery.
• Work closely with Machine shop supervisors, quality assurance, and maintenance personnel to proactively prevent problems with machining cells and tooling/fixtures, and to identify ways to improve efficiency, cost, layout, and safety.
• Machine prototype parts with some assistance.
• Ensure all manufacturing safety & regulatory policies and procedures are implemented and maintained at all times.
• Actively champion & maintain a culture of 5S (Sort, Set and Order, Shine, Standardize and Sustain) in the machine shop.
• Train other operators.
• Be an active resource in time studies to analyze processes & validate recommended process changes.
• Be a resource to other company projects. Take part in brainstorming sessions and kaizen events designed to improve efficiency, costs and lead time.
• Requires at least 15 years of experience operating a mix of manual, semi-automatic, and CNC machine tools in a fast paced work environment.
o At least 5 years of manual machining experience.
o At least 10 years of CNC machining experience.
o At least 5 years of experience in high volume – low mix production.
o At least 5 years of experience in low volume – high mix production
o At least 2 years of experience in multi-pallet machines, pallet controller systems, 4+Axis/5-Sided machining, or bar-fed lathes desired but not essential.
• Expertise & experience in using common measuring instruments (micrometers, calipers, height/depth/bore gauges,) and tool presetters.
• Expertise in reading & interpreting complex drawings & blueprints in both imperial and metric standards.
• Expertise in calculating dimensions and tolerances using knowledge of mathematics (geometry, trigonometry) and part drawings / standards.
• Expertise & experience in measuring perpendicularity, parallelism, concentricity, and run out in micron or sub-micron level resolutions on manufactured components.
• Expertise & experience in proving out prototype parts and first piece runs for CNC programs generated by CAM packages.
• Proficiency in reading CNC programs (G & M code), and ability to edit programs in order to make corrections and/or improve efficiency.
• Proficiency in setup, operation, & basic maintenance of multi-axis CNC lathes; mills – horizontal and vertical - including multipallet machining centers; grinders; boring machines; broaches; Gear generation & testing equipment.
• Proficiency in setup, operation, & basic maintenance of Manual lathes, mills, grinders, tool grinders, drills, broaches, shears, gear hobber, band saw.
• Exposure to technologies such as 4 / 5 Axis machining, 5-Sided machining, Bar-fed turning, and/or multitasking machines.
• Ability to set up, adjust and operate all machine tools in order to perform precision machining operations while holding very close tolerances, and with minimal assistance.
• Good understanding of Tooling / Jig & Fixture design for machining operations.
• Ability to read & understand complex Engineering drawings/Blueprints; excellent grasp of GD & T.
• Excellent grasp of mathematics (including geometry & trigonometry), and good understanding of mechanical systems.
• Proven competency in calculating complex dimensions and tight tolerances (sub-micron positional dimensions, angles, patterns, parallelism, perpendicularity, concentricity, taper) using knowledge of mathematics (geometry, trigonometry) and part drawings / standards.
• Good understanding of Metallurgy (focus on Cast iron – Grey cast & Ductile iron; Steel, Stainless Steel – 304/316/416).
• Complete understanding of common gauges & measuring instruments (gauge blocks, micrometers, calipers, height gauge, depth gauge, bore gauges, Mahr gages, etc.).
• Experience in accurately diagnosing tool wear by visual inspection or by listening to the process, and in making necessary adjustments to control the process.
• Knowledge of tool setting systems.
• Basic understanding of DNC control for CNC programs and Machine monitoring systems desired but not essential.
• Ability to setup & operate multiple CNC machine tools simultaneously (for proven processes).
• Customer focused work ethic rooted in first-time-right production, value addition, and sense of urgency.
• Ability to understand and use Sumitomo’s Discrepancy reporting process, and other internal process control mechanisms.
• Ability to define & communicate problems based on process experience and personal observations.
• Knowledge & experience in participating in Time Studies.
• A strong commitment to Lean production values such as Pull processing, Perfect first-time quality, Single piece flow, Waste minimization, Continuous improvement, & Visual Control.
• Good initiative, work ethics & ability to work individually and in team settings.
• Strong personal ethics.
• Excellent conflict resolution skills.
• Strong communication skills.
• Ability to train associates on new processes.
• Ability & drive to learn new skills & manufacturing techniques at an accelerated pace.
Work Conditions and Physical Environment:
Duties are performed in an industrial environment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is constantly required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; twist; bend; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is frequently required to walk. The employee must constantly lift, carry, move, push, and/or pull up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is constantly exposed to moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles, risk of electrical shock, and vibration. The employee may be exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals. The noise level in the work environment is usually very loud.
The physical requirements described herein are representative of those which must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities, who are otherwise qualified, to perform the essential functions.
10 years: CNC Machining Experience
5 years: Manual machining experience
15 years: Operating a mix of manual, semi-automatic, and CNC machine tools in a fast past worked environment
ABBTECH is an EOE/Minorities/Women/Disabled Individuals/Veterans